Author Topic: Sunday, March 8th. Strange and Unusual Places in and Around Afton Canyon  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
A big THANK YOU to everyone who came out to participate in this run.  We have eleven people in six rigs (all Jeeps) in our little convoy.  After meeting for breakfast at Peggy Sue's 50s diner in Yermo and a brief driver's meeting we took I-15 Northeast to Basin road where we paused to air down.  We visited the following sites:

1.  Afton Canyon Borax mine where we drove up the old railroad route to the mine.
2.  T-Bone Albright's grave site.
3.  Spooky Canyon, where we took leisurely walk into the darker regions of the Afton Canyon area.  A couple of folks were more adventurous and they did a bit of rope climbing into the upper regions of the slot canyon.
4.  Box canyon for a photo opportunity.
5.  We had lunch where the road exits the Mojave River.
6.  The Delores Holland grave site where we paid our respects to the little daughter of a railroad worker, lost while her father was working on the rail line in the 1930.  She rests just North of that rail line a few miles West of what was once the town of Crucero.

Delores Holland:  BIRTH   2 Mar 1931  DEATH  4 Jul 1931 (aged 4 months)
Father:  Sheldon Joseph Holland  Birth 25 Apr 1909  Death 16 Mar 1987
Mother:  Bertha Leoline Lamper Holland  Birth  21 Jun 1909   Death   18 Jan 1972

7.  The Crucero town site (nothing remains).
8.  We then followed the remains of the Tonopah and Tidewater railway grade south for a few miles to.......
9.  The mysterious Desert Megaphone.
10.  We then took Crucero Road South to Ludlow across the expansive dry lake (like driving on a dusty super highway) where we aired up and took I-40 back to the Daggett exit and headed North back to Yermo for a stop at the local Dairy Queen for a cold delicious treat.

What a great day. The temperature was in the low 70s with a slight breeze making for perfect 4-Wheelin'.  Thanks again to everyone who make this run so much fun!!!

Never the last trail.

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
A few photos from the run.
Never the last trail.

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
A few more photos.
Never the last trail.

Offline Halfpint

• VV4W Club Member
It was a great day!!
Great pictures!!
Wendy

Offline Kurts TJ

• VV4W Club Member
Thank you Jim for a great day and awesome pictures.
No bad days...let's go wheelin'

Kurt & Rebecca

Offline Jeepin Klean

• "The mountains are calling and I must go."
THANK YOU Jim! It was an awesome day! Wheeling in perfect weather, with great company, to cool places; can't ask for much more than that.
Jason & Chandra