Author Topic: Memorial Day Rally to Support the Barstow Veterans’ Home  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
Many thanks to all the club members who turned out to support our heroes. We can’t let Governor Gavin Newsom close this facility. It is wrong for him balance the budget on the backs of our veterans especially when there are som many programs of debatable value. 

It was a great turn out today. The unofficial count was more than 400 Motorcycles and in excess of 1,700 other vehicles. This is a great start. Now we need to call, e-mail and write the Governor and the State Assembly to keep the pressure on!

Thanks again for the great club support for this worthy cause!
Never the last trail.

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
Re: Memorial Day Rally to Support the Barstow Veterans’ Home
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 07:25:17 PM »
A few photos.
Never the last trail.

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
A few more.
Never the last trail.

Offline edsredx

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 08:29:12 PM »
Thanks  Jim for  posting the story  and the  pictures it was a great day
Ed A

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:19:52 AM »
Here is an update on the Barstow Veterans' Home from our Assemblyman Jay Obernolte.

I’d like to give you an update on what is happening with the Governor’s budget proposal to close the Barstow Veterans Home. I am happy to report that this week the Senate Budget Subcommittee 4 on State Administration and General Government rejected the Governor's proposal! This is great news but we must keep fighting to ensure that this proposal dies.

I have had conversations with both CalVet Secretary Imbasciani and the Budget Committee Chairman about how unacceptable the Governor's proposed closure of the Barstow Veterans Home is to our community. I look forward to working with both of them to ensure that we save this vital facility.

To make sure the administration understands the importance of this issue, I authored a letter to the Governor with my colleagues in both the Senate and the Assembly opposing his proposal. You can read the entire letter here.

And just yesterday, I joined Congressman Cook, Senator Grove, and Supervisor Rowe in writing an opinion editorial outlining why this veterans home is so important to our community. It represents our commitment as a society to the veterans who have served our country. These veterans are not just an item in the budget. They represent real people with real families and real lives. They’re a segment of our population we have an obligation to protect.

As the Vice Chair of the Budget Committee, I will continue to fight for this home to remain open. I will do everything in my power to ensure that our veterans are not displaced from their home.

It’s an honor to represent you.

Jay Obernolte.
Never the last trail.

Offline edsredx

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »
Thanks again  for  keeping  us informed
Ed A

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »
I am pleased to report that everyone’s efforts paid off. The Barstow Veteran’s Home has been saved. Below is the official statement from Jay Obernolte.
Never the last trail.